More on telomeres and cancer
I wanted to give you a brief but exciting follow up to my recent article on telomeres and cancer. I swear I had no idea that JAMA would release an article in the traditional medical press proving every single thing I said, but it happened. (JAMA. 2010;304 (1):69-75. doi: 10.1001/jama.2010.897)
It is refreshing to see how fast “traditional” medicine is coming around to nontraditional views. Those of you who read my healtheritalk.com article posted a while back understand my view on telomeres and cancer.
The following sums it up:
1) Cancer is a disease of short telomeres.
2) Cancer is a disease of a faulty immune system.
3) 1 and 2 are intimately related, as short telomeres in the immune cells create a condition known as “Immunosenescence” or literally “an old immune system.”
4) Long telomeres signify a healthy cell with intact genetic material.
5) Short telomeres signify an “old cell” that is more likely to mutate. The telomeres are part of the “guardianship” mechanism by which cells remove themselves from the cellular pool. Long telomered cells do not need to be removed, at least not for genetic reasons (you could still have massive trauma to the cell).
6) The difference between the shortest telomere group and the longer telomere group was a 400% greater incidence of cancer in the short group. The “severity”, judged by how many people died, was also much higher in the short telomere group!
I was both happy and shocked to see an article relating telomere length to cancer, morbidity and mortality (sickness and death) in a traditional medical journal because it represents a radical departure from their old thinking and means more research really WILL be done.
If you have been following the writings, then you will not be surprised by what they found. Short telomeres are associated with cancer, long telomeres far less so. And it is proportionate, meaning the longer your telomeres, the less likely you are to get cancer.
Keeping your telomeres healthy is about two things, mainly. A) Slowing down the loss and that is what the bulk of our book, “The Immortality Edge” is about, and B) adding length, which we know for sure improves your immune system response and probably a lot of other things!
That is the sole domain of TA-65. These are exciting times to be alive and to look ahead to more health and more life!
Note: the above is not meant to suggest that we have a cure or prevention for cancer. It is only meant to tell you where we are at with telomere biology and cancer.
As per your requests from my last article I’ll have more out for you very soon! Just let me know if you want more please and I will put pen to paper.
About the author
Dr. Dave is a Board Certified Internist and Board Certified anti-aging physician. He owns and operates his own supplement company, Dr Dave's Best, dedicated to true anti-aging and performance enhancing supplements.
Dr. Dave still writes his own material and does not use copywriting teams for his newsletters, blogs, etc. His motto is “Use Mother Nature to Beat Father Time!”
He is also co-author of "The Immortality Edge" a book dedicated to teaching everyone about the newest hottest field in anti-aging technology, Telomere Biology and giving practical proven advice for better health and a longer life that everyone can use RIGHT NOW!